Everybody thinks tha the hard part of getting a tattoo in getting inked itself and after that you do not need to take care of the tattoo – this unfortunately isn’t true. Just like with piercings, a huge part of getting a tattoo is the aftercare that is involved. Tattoo aftercare is done to ensure that it heals properly so that the ink settles in your skin and the tattoo itself does not get infected. Infections can be nasty and, in many cases, require medical treatment. Take simple precautions such as going to a hygienic tattoo parlor and making sure your tattoo artists uses a clean needle. After getting a tattoo, avoid exercise and excessive sweating around tattooed area to ensure your skin heals properly.
Disclaimer: This advice is not provided by a doctor or medical professional and should not be considered as such. Before you try out any of these lotions, check the ingredients for any substance you might be allergic to and conduct a patch test on your wrist.
After you get a tattoo, there are several things you need to do to make sure that your tattoo heals properly such as:
- After your tattoos is done, your tattoo artist will cover it with petroleum jelly such as Vaseline and cover it with a tattoo.
- They will also apply a clear bandage over the tattoo such as Sandiderm to help the tattoo heal. You must only remove this tattoo after 24 hours. If you take off the bandage before this, your tattoo is at risk for an infection.
- Your tattoo artist will also recommend you use an anti-microbial soap to gently was the tattooed area after you take off the bandage. Pat the area dry after you wash it with a clean towel. Do not be too abrasive or you might damage your skin.
- Your tattoo artist might also suggest a lotion to use on the tattooed area to help it heal. After you wash the tattoo with the soap, you can use lotions such as:
- Johnson’s Baby Milk Lotion: This is an affordable option recommended by a lot of tattoo artists. It is thin, non-greasy and can permeate the dry skin easily. By keeping the skin moisturized, it will help the tattoo heal so that the ink will pigment better. And because it is made for babies, it will be very gentle on your skin.
- Tattoo Goo Color Guard 30 SPF: This product has sunscreen in it, and so it will be useful for tattoos on your wrist or leg that might be exposed to the sun. Sun is very dangerous for new tattoos and can cause the in to break down or fade over time. Only one hour of direct sunlight can cause your tattoo to fade away. While this is only one of the products that they company Tattoo Goo produces, every product of theirs is made especially for tattoo aftercare such as soap, healing balm, etc.
- Petroleum Jelly: It was first accidentally discovered in 1859 by workers on an oil rig in Titusville, Pennsylvania. They discovered a paraffin-like substance forming on the rigs and then used it on their cuts and burns – they then discovered that it actually promoted healing. Vaseline has many healing properties and antibacterial properties as well. It can keep your skin moisturized and prevents your skin from getting too dry – this will be especially helpful when your tattoo starts to scab as it can get itchy then. But Vaseline can keep your skin hydrated and prevent it from getting itchy.
- Boro Plus Anti-Septic Moisturizing Cream: This is a drugstore brand that can be found at your local pharmacy and is also a very affordable option. It is produced by a company that is known for its pharmaceutical properties, and because it is also anti-septic in nature – it will prevent your tattoo from getting infected.
- Aveno Daily Moisturizing Lotion: While this is a pricier option, you can also use it as a regular moisturizer after your tattoo has healed. It’s a deep moisturizer that will prevent your skin from being too dry and will help your tattoo heal quicker. A moisturizer like this can be particularly helpful in case you have a large tattoo that will require a lot of aftercare.
- Coconut Oil: If you would prefer a more natural option, then you can also go for coconut oil – but make sure you use 100% virgin coconut oil as some impurities or chemicals in the oil can irritate the skin. Coconut Oil is a naturally occurring moisturizer and can nourish the skin from the inside out. It is also a affordable option and has multiple uses. It is also a great option if you are allergic to any ingredients in all the other products.
You must ensure that you diligently take care of your tattoo and keep up the routine for the entire duration of the healing process. The topmost layer of your tattoo will take two to three weeks to heal and will the appearance of the ink will also improve soon after. This is as long as everything goes well with no infections or extreme scabbing taking place. But you must keep up with the tattoo aftercare because a lesser know fact is: it actually takes up to four months for all layers of your skin to heal after getting a tattoo.